Old Lyme - Jace Montesanto's two-run double with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning Friday lifted the Old Lyme High School baseball team to an 8-7 win over Haddam-Killingworth in a Shoreline Conference game.
Brendan Johnson, Dylan Sheffield and Trent Garbati had two hits each for Old Lyme (2-0, 1-0).
In other games:
• Gabriel Diaz was 3-for-4 with two runs scored and freshman pitcher Josh Vincent earned the win in his first career start as New London beat Grasso Tech 16-0 in the season opener for both teams. Vincent struck out 10, walked one and allowed two hits over five innings. Duane Shea had two hits for Grasso.
• Portland spoiled a solid seven-inning performance by Old Saybrook pitcher Justin Beal, beating the Rams 5-3 in the bottom of the eighth. Beal had a two-run lead in the seventh but Portland scored twice, one an unearned run, to tie it. Alex Cabral had an RBI double in the third for Old Saybrook (0-2).
• Woodstock Academy jumped out to a 6-0 lead and held on to beat Griswold 10-5. Dave Webster and John Elnicki had two hits each and Kyle Dombrowski doubled for Griswold (2-1).
• Jaclyn Paride went 4-for-4 with two doubles and three RBI as Stonington opened the season with an 8-1 victory over Westerly. Junior pitcher Andrea Chiaradio struck out 12 and walked two to earn the victory.
• Kelsey Root, Old Saybrook's cleanup hitter, drilled a two-run home run over the left field fence in the first inning as the Rams defeated Portland 5-2 in their season-opener. Dana Pendleton was 2-for-3 with a run scored, Lauren Pascoe was 2-for-3 with two RBI and Old Saybrook played errorless defense behind pitcher Alexis Trabucchi.
• East Lyme swept a nonleague tri-meet Thursday, beating Windham 89-60 and Lyman Memorial 132-11. Dan Gage (100 hurdles, 300 hurdles) and John Santos (discus, javelin) were double-winners for East Lyme against Windham and Jon Combies, Adam Salafia and Anthony Petrone also won events.
• Eva Christensen and Chelsea Stevens won two events each as East Lyme beat Windham 105-36 in a nonleague meet Thursday. East Lyme also beat Lyman Memorial 134-7. Christensen won the 800 and 1,600 and Stevens won the 100 and 200. Kara Seitz, Anika Pallan, Gianna Folz and Jane Martinez also won events for East Lyme.
• New London beat Killingly 4-3 in a nonleague match Thursday. Jordan Coons, Greg Bryan and Kyle Russell won singles matches for New London (1-1) and the doubles team of Kush Kumar and Keith Verdini also won.