Published November 10. 2012 4:00AM
North Stonington - Kylie Baker scored for Wheeler High School as it edged Tourtellotte 1-0 Friday in a CIAC Class S first-round girls' soccer game.
Seniors Taylor Mathwich and Ashley Souza played strong defensively for Wheeler (8-8-1), which will play at No. 3 Portland at 5 p.m. Monday.
Jess Morgan added 12 saves for the Lions.
In other state tournament games:
• No. 11 Waterford struck for four second-half goals in a 5-0 victory over No. 22 Griswold in the Class M first round. Emily Skinner, Claire Hurley, Christine Bueno, Megan Spellman and Hannah Scahill had goals for the Lancers (14-4-2), while Skinner and Genaya Loftis added assists. Waterford advanced to play at No. 6 St. Joseph of Trumbull in the second round at 2 p.m. Monday. Julia Zawacki made one save in goal for the Lancers.
• Kaila Lozada scored twice as No. 13 Newington downed No. 20 Norwich Free Academy 7-0 in a Class LL first-round game. Katherine Beasley had eight saves for NFA (8-6-3).
• Victoria Buonanni scored with 13:10 remaining to lift No. 19 Coginchaug of Durham past No. 14 Stonington 1-0 in a Class M first round game.
"We had a few good chances," Stonington coach Dave Walsh said. "We just couldn't get one."
Goalie Gabi Hoops had five saves for the Bears (11-7).
• Molly Crowley scored twice in No. 6 Stonington's 3-0 victory over No. 11 Shepaug Valley in the first round of the Class S tournament, giving the Bears a berth in the quarterfinals.
Stonington (13-3-1) will play the winner of today's game against No. 3 Thomaston and No. 14 Granby Memorial either Sunday or Monday.
"We played really well," Stonington coach Jenna Tucchio said. "I had scouted them and we tried some different things we thought would help us. We tried to play uptempo but still play composed. I saw them play with an even tempo; I thought maybe we could take them out of their element."
Steph Stearns also scored for the Bears and Libby Morrison and Chloe Slater had assists. Annie Knizeski made five saves in goal.
• Paige Schneider scored on a penalty stroke and Ellie Bruckner also had a goal in No. 8 East Lyme's 5-2 loss to No. 9 Joel Barlow, 5-2 in a Class M first-round game. Caroline Regan had an assist and goalie Sarah Bond made four saves for the Vikings (8-4-5). Kerianne Gibney had four goals for Joel Barlow.
• Kiley Anderson scored twice as No. 4 Haddam-Killingworth beat No. 13 Waterford 3-0 in a Class S first-round game. Becca Gregoire had four saves for Waterford (8-8-1).
• Nate Haynes scored twice in the first five minutes to help lift No. 6 Ledyard past No. 27 Kaynor Tech in the Class M first round. Walter Factor, Zach Higgins and Matt McElwee also scored for the Colonels (14-4) and Steven Servedio and Haynes added assists. Ledyard advanced to the second round to take on No. 22 Sheehan of Wallingford at 2 p.m. today in Ledyard.
• Justin Grant scored in the first overtime as No. 22 Cromwell edged No. 11 Wheeler 2-1 in a Class S first-round game. John Mulhern scored for Wheeler (9-7-1) and Jacob Sylvestre added eight saves.
• Joe Greenwald scored twice as No. 17 Staples of Westport downed No. 16 NFA 6-0 in a Class LL first-round game. Jeremy Laferriere and Carl Chancy combined on seven saves for NFA (10-5-2).