Published January 06. 2013 4:00AM
Bristol — Second-ranked Ledyard High School defeated three ranked teams on the way to winning the Bristol Central Invitational wrestling tournament Saturday.
Ledyard finished with 202.5 points. No. 4 Farmington took second with 185 while No. 10 New Milford (160), Middletown (143) and No. 7 Bristol Eastern (117.5) rounded out the top five.
Devon MarcAurele led the Colonels, winning the 120-pound weight class.
Other top three finishers for Ledyard included: Derek Schultz (3rd, 106), Mike Graff (3rd, 126), Justin Timberlake (2nd, 138), Brandon Finney (2nd, 152), Caile Johnson (3rd, 160) and Colin Grim (2nd, 170).
Olivia Satti (5th, 106), Jess Csisar (4th, 145), Josh Throop (5th, 220) and Kevin McDonald (6th, 285) also placed for the Colonels.
In other matches:
• New London swept a quad match, beating New Haven Co-Op (66-9), Granby (62-7) and host Killingly (40-32). The Whalers (8-4) avenged a recent loss to the Redmen. Six Whalers won all three of their matches: Mike Commander (126), Matt Strollo (120), Nick Rasmussen (152), Sri Louis (145), Olguy Joseph (184) and Greg Kohler (170).
• Waterford went 2-2 at the Windham Duals, beating East Lyme (48-30) and Rockville (60-18) while losing to the host Whippets (57-18) and Berlin (66-9). Brian Roscover (120) went 4-0 on the day for the Lancers (5-6) while Dillon McCarthy (152) went 3-1.
• Fitch went 1-2 in a quad-meet, beating Windsor (42-36) while losing to Fermi (54-24) and Platt (72-6). The Falcons are 4-11. Competing at 170 pounds, Jordan Kenyon won all three of his matches by pin to lead the Falcons. Sam Caramante (132) and Sean Blais (170, 182) were double winners, posting pins against Fermi and Windsor. Against Windsor, Scott Kydd (120) and Billy Goff (145) won by pin.
• Montville finished sixth out of 16 teams at the Fairfield Warde Invitational. Simsbury won the team title. Joe Rainville was the top finisher for the Indians, placing second at 115. Tommy Wynosky was third at 126 and Jacob Caskey took third at 132. The Indians had 107 points.
• Norwich Free Academy split four matches at the South Windsor Duals, beating Portland (52-24) and East Longmeadow, Mass. (36-25) and losing to Bishop Hendricken, R.I. (39-9) and South Windsor (41-39). NFA is 8-6. NFA's Dan Britos went undefeated at 132, registering three pins, while Jacob Martin won three matches at 106.
• George Logan scored a team-best 23 points and Danny Chapman added 16 points and 12 rebounds, lifting Old Lyme past Portland, 64-51, in the Shoreline Conference. The Wildcats (6-1, 6-0) broke away in the third quarter, out-scoring Portland, 22-12.
• Darnay Gray scored 21 points and Thomas Whipple added 18 in Ledyard's 71-52 win over South Kingstown, R.I., in the CCRI High School Basketball Challenge in Warwick. John Rainey scored 11 points for the Colonels (7-1).
• Keith Porter had 19 points and 12 rebounds in New London's 42-41 loss to St. Raphael Academy of Pawtucket, R.I., in the CCRI Challenge in Warwick. The Whalers fell to 5-3.
• Julia Zawacki scored a team-high six points in Waterford's 55-26 loss to Glastonbury. The Lancers (2-7) trailed 31-11 at halftime.
• Olivia Backhaus scored 17 points to lead Fishers Island to a 40-30 win over St. Michael. Arrianna Suarez Reyes had 11 rebounds, Ellie McCarthy had eight rebounds and Backhaus had nine rebounds and five steals for Fishers Island. Katelyn Bittman scored 20 for St. Michael.
• Williams School fell to 0-4 with a 49-22 loss to Watkinson School. Marion Philippe had eight points, 14 rebounds, four blocks and three assists and Camisha Moore added six rebounds and nine steals for the Blues.
• Fitch's Stefan Jones was the top performer in foil as the Falcons beat Griswold and St. Bernard both by 5-4 scores. Griswold beat St. Bernard 5-4. In epee, Alex Kuvalanka and Christian Gospodinoff were unbeaten as St. Bernard beat Fitch 9-0 and Griswold 8-1. Fitch beat Griswold 8-1.
• Kyle Young had the most touches in foil and epee as Norwich Free Academy went unbeaten. The Wildcats beat East Lyme 7-2 and Bacon Academy 8-1 in foil and East Lyme 6-3 in epee. East Lyme also lost to Bacon 5-4 in foil.
• David Allen had high score in the foil with 30 points, leading Ledyard past Waterford (6-3) and New London (8-1). Waterford defeated New London 8-1.
• St. Bernard's Katelyn Mazurkiewicz was the top performer in foil during a tri-meet with Fitch and Griswold. Fitch swept the meet, beating St. Bernard 6-3 and Griswold 8-1. The Saints beat Griswold 7-2. St. Bernard's Cassie Meehan was unbeaten in epee as the Saints beat Fitch 5-4 and Griswold 5-4. Fitch beat Griswold 9-0.
• NFA's Kara Long had the most touches in foil and epee during a tri-meet. East Lyme swept the foil by defeating NFA 6-3 and Bacon 9-0, while NFA beat Bacon 7-2. NFA beat East Lyme in epee 7-2.
• Ledyard's Quinn Duwelli had the high score in foil with 30 points, leading the Colonels past Waterford and New London, both by 8-1 scores. Waterford defeated New London 7-2.