Published January 27. 2013 4:00AM
Ledyard - Ledyard High School's fourth-ranked wrestling team beat a pair of ranked teams en route a perfect 3-0 day during a quad-meet on Saturday.
The Colonels (16-1) edged No. 5 Fairfield Warde 39-30, routed No. 10 Bristol Eastern 55-9 and beat East Lyme 66-7. Ledyard trailed Warde 26-24 in the final match of the day but reeled off 15 straight points as Derek Schultz (106 pounds) recorded a pin in 3 minutes, 48 seconds, Robert Drury (113) earned a 7-1 decision and Devon MarcAurele (120) clinched the win with a pin in just 1:11.
MarcAurele, Brandon Finney (152), Caile Johnson (160), Ryan Wade (170), Colin Grim (182, 195) and Ben Morales (220) all had 3-0 days for Ledyard, with Grim pinning all three of his opponents in the first period.
In other matches:
• Sean Blais won both his 170-pound matches in Fitch's losses to New Fairfield, 68-8, and Jonathan Law, 60-21, at the Derby Duals. Jimmy DeLaura won by decision at 113 against New Fairfield while Billy Goff (145) won by pin and Scott Kydd (120) posted a major decision win and Jordan Kenyon (160) won by technical fall against Jonathan Law.
• Montville improved to 13-2 with a 42-28 win over Killingly. Stephen Rogers (120), Tommy Wynosky (126), Patrick Bogan (170) and Ryan Murtha (285) had pins for the Indians.
• Matt Dowler (106) earned a major decision to highlight St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheelers' 55-10 loss to Killingly. The Saints are 3-17.
• Waterford went 2-1 in a quad-meet Friday, beating Westerly 45-29 and Coventry, R.I., 42-37 but losing to Foran 51-20. Brentt Smith (113), Sam Lindblom (132) and Spencer Sgandurra (145) each went 3-0 with Smith and Sgandurra recording two pins each for Waterford (14-14).
• Denzel Lancaster scored 26 points to lead Norwich Free Academy to a 63-59 win over Hope (R.I.) in a nonleague game at Community College of Rhode Island. Ryan Lusk scored 16 and Desmond Miller had 10 points for NFA (8-5).
• Tim Hoch scored 22 points to lead Fishers Island to a 52-42 win over Williams School. Robert Backhaus had 16 points and seven rebounds and Hoch had five assists and four steals for Fishers Island (8-1), which trailed 27-18 at halftime then outscored Williams 14-0 in the third quarter. Rudy Harvey scored 10 points for Williams.
• Marion Philippe had 16 points, 15 rebounds and eight blocks to help lead Williams to a 34-24 win over Fishers Island. Emily Hamilton had 12 points and seven rebounds and Kailah Waheed had nine rebounds and three blocked shots for Williams (5-7). Olivia Backhaus scored 11 points and Shelby Lusker had five steals for Fishers Island.
• Danny Terracciano scored the game-winning goal in overtime off an assist from Joey Mitchell, lifting NFA-St. Bernard-Bacon past East Haven, 3-2. Tyler Faulkner and Denzel Dickerson also scored while Mike Falanga had two assists and goalie Jonah Beauton had 27 saves for NFA (5-7).
• Caius Mergy of Williams set two school records as the Blues beat Cheshire Academy 71-60 and lost to Eaglebrook 90-58. Mergy won the 100 breaststroke in 1:03.14 and the 200 individual medley in 2:06.62. Adam Collins of Williams won the 50 freestyle and teamed with Everett Steiner, Mergy and Sam Buffum to win the 200 freestyle relay.
• Samantha Linares and Marissa Lynch won two events each to lead Williams to a 93-63 win over Cheshire Academy. Linares won the 200 freestyle and 500 freestyle and Lynch won the 50 freestyle and 100 backstroke. Grace Linares won the 100 butterfly and the Blues won all three relays with Catie Beggins, Claudia Mergy, Kaela Milewski, Samantha Linares, Grace Linares and Lynch making up the teams.
• Connor Gralton won the mile at the Bacon Academy Invitational at Hartford Public. His winning time was four minutes, 45 seconds.
• New London was swept in foil by Bacon Academy, 5-4, and Griswold, 6-3, in an ECC tri-match.
• New London's Soraya Colon-Millan (30 points) was the top performer in foil as the Whalers split an ECC tri-match, beating Bacon 7-2 and losing to Griswold 5-4.