Published February 04. 2013 4:00AM
Providence - Gabe Levin scored 15 points to help lead the St. Thomas More men's basketball team to a 62-35 win over MacDuffie Sunday at the National Prep School Showcase.
Duane Notice had 13 points, four steals and six rebounds, Dylan Haines scored eight with five rebounds and Levin, who made all seven of his free throw attempts, had five rebounds for T-More (23-3).
In other games:
• Avery Point's Philkwan Tate had 23 points in a losing cause as Dean won, 76-58, Saturday. Sam Turner scored 10 for the Pointers (7-10).
• Emily Fluke scored three goals and had an assists, leading No. 5 Middlebury to a 4-0 win over Connecticut College in a New England Small College Athletic Conference game. Mackenzie Martin also scored for Middlebury (13-4-2, 10-2-2). Conn College (10-9-1, 6-7-1) upset Middlebury 3-2 on Saturday.
• Adam Scalesse won the 60-meter hurdles, leading Coast Guard to a ninth place finish at the Tufts Stampede Saturday. His winning time was 8.24 seconds. Ben Wohlhaupter was third in the pole vault (15 feet, one inch) while Clay Kosack was fourth in the heptathlon with 4,206 points, winning the pole vault (12-9½) and 1,000 (2:50.28). Ben Hannon was fourth in the 200 (23.20) and Jordan Lee was fourth in the 800 (1:57.95).
• Tristan Cole placed fourth in the mile run in 4:24.48, leading Conn College to an 11th place finish at Tufts Saturday. Nick Fischetti set a school record with 3,047 points in the heptathlon.
• Freshman Rachel Hill was the top Coast Guard finisher, placing third in the 800 (2:24.41) at the Tufts Stampede Saturday. Emily Trudeau was sixth in the shot put (38-6.25).
• Kim Bolick finished second in the 1,000 (3:01.48) to lead Conn College at Tufts Saturday. The 4x800 relay team of Sarah Matthews, Michelle Wesley, Caroline Leonard and Bolick took third (9:57.52). In the 600, Matthews was fourth in season best 1:41.32 while Samantha topped her own school record in the weight throw (43-11.75).
• Conn College lost to Wellesley, 158-155, and beat Bates, 188-93, Saturday. Julia Pielock who won the 50 freestyle (24.16), 50 butterfly (27.25) and 100 freestyle (53.67) for the Camels while Esther Mehesz won the 1,000 free (10:46.67) and Kelsey Ewing the 400 IM (4:48.06).
• Chantel Ferguson took first in the 100 butterfly (1:00.79) and 200 butterfly (2:14.38) in Coast Guard's 144-140 loss to Wesleyan Saturday. Sara Cantrell won the 1-meter (409.04) and 3-meter (445.79) diving events while Darlene Sao finished first in the 50 freestyle (25.44) and 200 IM (2:14.40).
• Conn College won 14 of 15 swimming events to beat Bates, 219-85, Saturday. Sam Gill won three individual events, taking the 50 butterfly (22.79), 100 butterfly (49.83) and 100 freestyle (46.60). Drew Andre won the 50 freestyle (21.81) and 200 freestyle (1:47.00) while Bo Martin won the 100 breaststroke (1:00.33) and 1,000 freestyle (9:57.97).
• Coast Guard's 200 medley relay team of Christian Brindamour, Ben Morseth, Ryan Buys and Adam Hoburg took first in 1:39.70, as the Bears beat Wesleyan, 182-96, Saturday. Kevin Smith won the 200 butterfly (1:58.24) and 100 IM (56.25) while Brindamour won the 100 backstroke (54.29) and 50 freestyle (21.23) and Marco Tinari took the 1,000 freestyle (10:07.46) and 500 freestyle (4:56.07). Andy Anderson also was a double winner, taking the 3-meter diving (406.31) and 1-meter diving (398.54) events.
• NFA went 3-1 at the Staples Duals in Westport Saturday, beating Haddam-Killingworth 44-32, Staples 69-12 and Fairfield Prep 46-21 while losing to Shelton 37-35. Dan Britos (132), Tyler Courter (145), Khaleed Exum-Strong (182) and John Crooks (195) each went 4-0 for NFA (20-12).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Shelby Lusker scored 12 points and had 15 rebounds, leading Fishers Island to a 45-40 win over the Waterford freshman team Saturday. Olivia Backhaus had 16 points and eight rebounds for Fishers Island.
H.S. boys' fencing
• Christian Gospodinoff and Alex Kuvalanka had perfect scores (15) in the epee as St. Bernard beat Fitch, 8-1, Saturday. Corey Jones scored 12 as Fitch beat St. Bernard in the foil, 5-4. Justin Cavitt scored 15 for St. Bernard as it beat Griswold, 6-3, in the foil. The Saints also beat Griswold in epee, 9-0.
H.S. girls' fencing
• Chesca Bonnevie scored 14 for Fitch as it beat St. Bernard in the foil, 5-4, Saturday. Kaitlin Wagner scored 12 for St. Bernard as it beat the Falcons in the epee, 5-4. Katelyn Mazurkiewcz scored 15 in the foil in a 6-3 win over Griswold and the Saints' Cassie Meehan scored 12 in a 6-3 win over Griswold in epee.
• Shepaug Valley-Litchfield-Nonnewaug led 3-0 after one period and went on to beat Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard 8-2 Friday night. Kyle Gurnee and Dan Malzahn scored goals and Keegan Twomey and Zach Jones had assists for Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard (0-13).
• Montville Babe Ruth baseball registration is Feb. 5, 12, 19 and 26 from 6-7 p.m., Montville American Legion. For ages 13-15 and possibly 16-18. Contact: Marc McGrath, (860) 912-3176 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Waterford South Little League final registration is Tuesday, Feb. 5 and Thursday, Feb. 21 from 4:30-7:30 p.m. at Waterford Cummunity Center. Any person not registering a player by the 21st must pay a $25 late fee. Contact, Tim Jerome (860) 235-5009.
• Salem Youth Baseball and Softball Leagues are holding registration on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 6-8 p.m., Salem Town Hall. Contact: Arthur Christian, (860) 859-0226.