Montville - Montville scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning to cap a big comeback Sunday and earn a 10-9 victory over Niantic in an American Legion baseball Zone VI game.
Montville (9-2) trailed 10-2 behind into the bottom of the ninth, but scored eight runs to send the game to extra innings. Joe Brachas' three-run double was the big hit and Tyler Guetens also had an RBI single in the ninth.
Mike McKeon had four hits, scored twice and drove in two runs, Brachas had three hits and Guetens had two hits and drove in three runs for Montville. Brandon Johnson, Justin Briasco and Mike Mann (three RBI) had three hits each for Niantic (6-4).
In other games:
• Matt Greene had three hits, two of which were RBI doubles, to lead New London to a 5-2 win over Moosup. Al Jordan Johnson (2-0) pitched a seven-hitter for the win, striking out six with no walks and no earned runs for New London (9-4). Jordan Federer had two hits for Moosup (4-7).
• Willimantic scored five runs in the first inning and went on to beat Jewett City 11-4. Kyle Dombrowski and Tyler Mikula had two hits each for Jewett City (2-8), which committed five errors.
• Niantic beat Montville 7-2 Saturday night to earn a split of a doubleheader. Ed Lorah had two hits in each game for Niantic (6-3) and Chase Livingston had two hits in the opener.
Montville won the opener 13-1 as Tim Brachas pitched a six-hitter. Ken Strecker had three hits and drove in four runs and Corey Wilcox had two hits and drove in three runs. Wilcox also had two hits in the second game for Montville.
Tigers fall to ValleyCats
• The Tri-City ValleyCats scored four runs in the top of the eighth inning and went on to beat the Connecticut Tigers 6-5 in a New York-Penn. League game at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. Edgar Corcino, Jared Reaves and Juaner Aguasvivas each had three hits for the Tigers (2-5) and Bennett Pickar had two hits.
The teams split a doubleheader Saturday, with the Tigers winning the opener 2-1 before losing 4-3 in the second game.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Andy McKinney had three hits to help lead East Lyme to a 4-2 win over Waterford. Erik Nickolson was the winning pitcher and had a run-scoring triple and Nick Bellas scored twice for East Lyme (4-2). Sal Pezzolesi and Matt Johnson each had two hits and drove in a run for Waterford (5-2).
• Lucas VanHausen had three hits, scored twice and drove in two runs to lead Montville to an 8-1 win over Niantic. VanHausen (1-0) was also the winning pitcher. Greg Benjamin was 4-for-4 with two doubles, Mitchell Dole had three hits and Jake Schmalz drove in two runs for Montville (7-3).
• Jewett City scored six runs in the top of the sixth inning to break a 2-2 tie and went on to beat Willimantic 8-4. Sean Janos, Brandon Russo, Mitch Tetreault and Trent Appleton had two hits each for Jewett City (3-2), Russo and Janos each scored twice and Tetreault drove in two runs.