Groton — A fire that began in a bedroom closet damaged an apartment at 180 Branford Ave. this morning.
Groton City Fire Department Capt. Mark Cassidy said the Red Cross is providing temporary housing for the family who lived in the unit because the 8:02 a.m. fire left it uninhabitable.
He said no one was injured in the fire, which firefighters had under control in about 10 minutes.
Cassidy said a woman and her child were in the apartment when the fire broke out and reported it. He said the fire marshal is expected to have a preliminary cause of the fire Monday.
Groton City firefighters were assisted by firefighters from the Submarine Base, Poquonnock Bridge, Old Mystic, and Mystic departments as well a Groton Ambulance.