Published October 23. 2012 4:00AM
Waterford - Alexandra Abbiati scored the game-winning goal with 35 seconds gone in sudden death overtime Monday, leading the Fitch High School field hockey team past Waterford 1-0 in the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
Goalie Emma Nolan made 11 saves for Fitch (4-8, 3-6). Becca Gregoire had four saves for Waterford (6-5-1, 5-4-1).
In other games:
• Paige Schneider and Cara Bradley scored second-half goals to break a scoreless tie and give East Lyme a 2-1 victory over Norwich Free Academy in the ECC.
Samantha Horner and Ellie Bruckner had assists for the Vikings (7-2-4, 5-1-3), who have been playing without All-ECC forward Caroline Regan due to a broken hand. Sarah Bond made three saves in goal.
Hannah Long scored for NFA (7-5, 5-4).
• NFA defeated Bacon Academy 3-0 in an ECC Large Division match on senior night. Three seniors - Sydney Phelps (8 kills, 4 blocks, 3 aces), Bethany Stone (6 aces, 9 digs) and Carly Hust (2 aces, 4 digs, 3 kills) - helped lead the Wildcats (7-8, 2-5) along with Brianne Brennan (10 kills, 6 aces, 2 blocks), Melissa Castillo (4 aces, 7 digs), Alyssa Velles (8 kills) and Sophie Sweeden (20 assists).
• Grasso Tech qualified for the Class S state tournament with a 25-14, 25-15, 25-12 win over Vinal Tech in the Constitution State Conference. Mayra Vitorino had three aces, four kills and four digs for the Eagles (8-9) while Nicole Teixeira had four aces and three kills, Ellie Santana had nine aces and two digs and Mary Murphy had seven aces and four assists.
• Ledyard rolled to a 25-9, 25-12, 25-12 win over Norwich Tech. Alyssa Gregory led the Colonels (13-4) with nine aces and four kills, Kylie Fustini had 12 kills and five aces and Michelle Klinikowski had four kills and five aces.
• Old Lyme swept Hyde 25-3, 25-6, 25-5, with Lindsey Knepshield chipping in seven aces and 17 service points and Cara Lucey adding six aces.
• Wheeler dropped the first game to New London, 28-26, before taking the next three 26-24, 25-23, 25-21, to win the ECC Small match. Kayla Collins had four kills, four digs and three aces and Sarah Dalton added four kills and five digs for the Lions (3-12, 1-7).
For the Whalers (3-10, 1-6), Berenith Ortiz had eight aces, 15 assists and one block while Shikiyah Brown had seven kills and five blocks.
• Junior Joe Bodzewski scored two goals, leading Coast Guard to a 3-0 win over host N.Y. Maritime in a non-conference game. Greg Kennerley had a goal and Matt Epperly added an assist while goalies Will Leffler and Carlos Gonzalez combined for the shutout for the Bears (11-4-1).