Published January 10. 2013 4:00AM
Montville - Montville High School had five wrestlers win by pin Wednesday night in its 41-32 victory over New London in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division.
Jake Caskey (132 pounds), Jake Schmalz (160), McKenzie Mahn (182), Joey Rainville (113) and heavyweight Ryan Murtha each won by pin for the Indians (7-1, 4-0).
Matt Strollo (120) won his match by pin for the Whalers (8-5, 0-3).
In other matches:
• Matt Dowler (106) and Carl Federcraney (126) won by pin in St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheeler's 36-30 loss to Lyman Memorial-Windham Tech in the ECC Small Division. The Saints are 2-6, 0-4.
• Brentt Smith (120), Jared Weiss (126) and Dillion McCarthy (160) all won by pin for Waterford in a 35-34 ECC Small loss to Killingly. Waterford is 5-7, 2-1.
• Jordan Kenyon won by pin at 160 for Fitch in a 62-12 loss to Woodstock in the ECC Large. The Falcons are 4-12, 0-4.
• Mason Pagan (145) and Kareem Small (113) registered pins in East Lyme's 60-16 loss to Bacon Academy in the ECC Large. Andrew Lorah won by a 17-5 decision at 170 for East Lyme (1-12, 0-3). Bacon is 8-9, 4-0.
• Gabe Levin had 25 points, 13 rebounds and two assists to lead St. Thomas More past Robinson, 74-62.
• Lovell Classes scored 22 to lead Prince Tech of Hartford past Norwich Tech, 84-43, in the Constitution State Conference. Dan Paul had 15 points for the Warriors (0-5, 0-2).
• J'quan Monroe had 15 points and eight rebounds in Grasso Tech's 79-46 loss to Hartford Classical.
• Tyra Wolchesky scored eight points and Danielle Hoard added five in Norwich Tech's 53-21 loss to Prince Tech in the Constitution State Conference. Kianna Dailey added four rebounds and two blocks for the Warriors (1-9, 0-6).
• Deanna McCarvell and Lexus Childs-Harris scored 12 points each in New London's 35-34 victory over Fitch in the ECC Large Division on Tuesday. McCarvell had three 3-pointers for the Whalers (5-4, 2-3). Fitch is 3-9, 0-5.
•The Williams boys' and girls' beat St. George's B squad, 167-115, and PCD/Wheeler School, 156-144.
In the boys' competition, Caius Mergy set two school records while winning the 200 freestyle (1:55.64) and 100 breaststroke (1:03.75). Mergy also joined Josh Goldstein, Adam Collins and Sam Buffum on the winning 200 medley and 200 freestyle relay teams. Collins won the 50 and 100 freestyle for the Blues.
In the girls' meet, Catie Beggins won the 50 and 100 freestyle and joined Samantha Linhares, Grace Linhares and Marissa Lynch on the winning 200 medley relay. Lynch also won the 100 IM and 100 backstroke.
• Joey Mitchell scored the game-winning goal with 5:35 left in the third period, lifting NFA-St. Bernard-Bacon Academy to a 3-2 win over Milford Co-Op. Denzel Dickerson had two goals and goalie Evan Callahan made 20 saves for the Saints (2-4).
• Peter Yapchanyk and Kyle Gurnee each scored a goal in Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard's 11-2 loss to Lyman Hall. Keegan Twomey added an assist the Falcons (0-7).
• Ledyard's boys' and girls' teams placed second at the Jack Long Eastern Connecticut Conference Challenge Tuesday night at Wesleyan. In the boys' event, the Colonels scored 81 points, finishing just behind winner Glastonbury with 81.5.
The 4x200 relay team of Joseph Carter, Alex Paterson, Steven Servedio and Jake Christenson took first in 1:35.69 while the 4x800 team of Bryce Hedman, Tyler Torelli, Jason Smith and Max Armstrong placed third in 9:09.94.
Paterson won the 300 in 37.14. Carter also finished second in the 55 dash in 6.73 while Servedio was second in the long jump (19-9) and Kyle Wilson took second in the shot put (44 feet). Kevin McCarthy was third in the high jump at 5-6.
In the girls' event, the Colonels had 58 points, trailing winner Glastonbury. Lauren Scahill won the 1,000 in 3:07.72 and was part of two second-place relays teams, the 4x200 (1:56.52) and the 4x800 (10:35.95). Chenoa Sebastian added a win in the 55 hurdles (8.78) and Adedoyin Ladoja was second in the shot put at 33-10 1/2.