New London— Caroline Corbett scored a shorthanded goal with 1:58 remaining to lift the Connecticut College women's hockey team to a 3-2 victory over fifth-ranked Middlebury College on Saturday at Dayton Arena.
Samantha Shuffenecker scored twice while Kelsie Fralick stopped 39 shots for the Camels, who won for the first time in the New England Small College Athletic Conference series. The Camels improved to 10-8-1, 6-6-1.
• J.C. Cangelosi scored with four minutes left in the third period to give Conn College a 3-2 win at Tufts in the NESCAC. Goalie Tom Conlin made 41 saves while Mike Martinez and Stephen Brennan also scored for the Camels (7-10-3, 3-8-3).
• Coast Guard Academy sophomore All-American Nate Giorgio placed second at 125 pounds at the All-Academy Championships at West Point, N.Y. He was the only Division III wrestler to reach the finals. Giorgio, the nation's top ranked Div. III 125-pounder, beat Citadel's Joaquin Marquez, 5-4, in the semifinals before falling 6-0 to Air Force's Josh Martinez, the top seed, in the championship match.
CGA's Mike Giorgio (141 pounds) went 1-2, pinning Norwich's Tyrell Carstarphen. Heavweight Mark Howard won his opening match before losing twice. The Bears finished seventh and Navy won the team title.
• Playing with only five healthy players, UConn-Avery Point lost to Dean College, 72-42. Haley Cooper had 13 points and Kim Bouten added 10 for the Pointers (8-6).
• Amanda Garcia and Kate Malloy each had nine points and seven rebounds in Mitchell's 56-39 loss to Elms in the NECC. The Mariners fell to 4-14, 4-8.
• Coast Guard led 30-29 at halftime, but was outscored 42-20 in the second half and lost to Smith, 71-50, in the NEWMAC. Freshman Victoria Sutherland led the Bears (7-12, 5-9) with 19 points and a career-best 15 rebounds.
• WPI, ranked No. 4 in Div. III, led 50-23 at halftime and went on to beat Coast Guard 89-53 in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference. Jimmy Knudsen scored 16 and Greg Marshall had 14 points for CGA (1-18, 0-8).
• St. Thomas More lost its second straight for the first time this season, dropping a 77-71 decision to Brewster Academy at the National Prep School Tournament in Providence. Marquis Moore had 16 points and six assists while Duane Notice had 16 points and Denzel Gregg had nine points and five rebounds for the Chancellors (22-3).
• Dylan LaPorta had 10 points in Mitchell College's 93-66 loss to Elms College in the New England Collegiate Conference. Leading scorer Joshua Ford was held to just six points for the Mariners (10-10, 6-6).