Norwich - The city grand list of taxable property dropped in 2012 by 0.34 percent. The total combined grand list as of Oct. 1, 2012, is $2,424 billion, down $8.3 million from the 2011 totals after Board of Assessment Appeals adjustments. Real estate values dropped $3.4 million, 0.16 percent; motor vehicle, $2.5 million, 1.3 percent; and personal property, $2.3 million, 1.7 percent.
Assessor Donna Ralston said The William W. Backus Hospital and United Community and Family Services are seeking to remove major properties from tax rolls. Backus seeks an exemption on property in the Norwich business park, assessed at $6 million. UCFS seeks to remove most of the $1.8 million of assessed value of its Meadows plaza site.
Top 10 taxpayers in assessed value:
1. Computer Sciences Corp., 100 Winnendon Road and 243 Vergason Ave., $31.7 million.
2. Bob's (CT) QRS 16-25 Inc., 70 Jewett City Road, $22.7 million.
3. Plaza Enterprises (shopping center), 113 Salem Turnpike, $14.7 million.
4. EMC Corp., (computer leasing company), 100 Winnendon Road, $13.4 million.
5. USF Propco I LLC/US Food Service, 222 Otrobando Ave., $12.3 million.
6. Algonquin Gas Transmission LLC (gas pipelines), $9.8 million.
7. Mashantucket Pequot Tribe, Spa at Norwich Inn, 607 W. Thames St., $9.7 million.
8. Norwich Community Development Corp., 55A Main St. and industrial park land, $9.2 million.
9. Norwichtown Commons, 42-44 Town St., $9.2 million.
10. Wal-Mart Real Estate Business Trust, 220 Salem Turnpike, $9.6 million.