Login  /  Register  | 3 premium articles left before you must register.

Chimney fire damaged Niantic home

By Kathleen Edgecomb

Publication: theday.com

Published February 10. 2013 11:00AM   Updated February 10. 2013 11:40AM

East Lyme -- A family was displaced from their Niantic home Saturday after a chimney fire.

Neighbors called in the fire at 11:50 a.m. Saturday after seeing smoke coming from the attic, according to Fire Marshal Richard Morris.

The house at 27 Cubles Drive is owned by Andrea and Bob McGrath. The family, which includes a son, is being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Niantic and Flanders fire departments responded and were assised by the Old Saybrook FAST team.

The fire started in the chimney, according to Morris, and extended into the attic.

News by Town

Most Recent Poll
Finally, there is sunlight at the end of the snow tunnel. How will you spend your snowbound Saturday?
Dig out and then check in on neighbors to be sure they're OK.
41%
Whip up some comfort food and enjoy a lazy day at home.
32%
Shiver in the dark. We haven't had power since last night.
20%
Strap on snowshoes and go exploring.
6%
Number of votes: 667

No current items found