Stonington - Taty LaFrance Boyce had 15 points and five steals as No. 7 Stonington beat No. 10 New London, 54-28, in an Eastern Connecticut Conference girls' basketball first round game Thursday.
Falecia Cabral had 14 points and four assists for Stonington (14-7) and Margot Calmar scored 10.
Lexus Childs-Harris scored 13 for the Whalers (10-11).
The Bears will play second seeded Ledyard in Saturday's quarterfinal round at Plainfield (4 p.m.) The Colonels beat Stonington twice during the regular season (59-35, and 62-45). The rest of Saturday's schedule is No. 8 St. Bernard vs. No. 1 Bacon Academy (noon), No. 5 East Lyme vs. No. 4 Plainfield (2 p.m.), and No. 6 Montville vs. No. 3 Norwich Free Academy (6 p.m.)
In other games:
• Jamie Hill scored 19 points to help lead Montville to a 49-26 win over No. 11 Woodstock Academy in the first round of the ECC tournament. Cassidy Bundy had 14 points and 10 rebounds and Meghan Autencio scored 10 for Montville (16-5).
• Casey Sullivan scored 17 points and had 10 rebounds, leading St. Bernard to a 45-36 win over No. 9 Lyman Memorial in ther first round of the ECC tournament. Kaitlyn Berkel and Brittany Walenta scored 10 each for St. Bernard (13-8).
• Elizabeth Marshall had 18 points to as Old Saybrook edged Old Lyme, 49-46, in the Shoreline Conference. Old Saybrook is 10-9. Hannah Behringer had 14 points and 14 rebounds for the Wildcats (5-14) and Sloane Sweitzer added 16 points and six rebounds.
• Morgan Griffin had 21 points as Plainfield outlasted Waterford in double overtime Wednesday, 50-45. Haley Beausoleil scored 10 for Plainfield. Vanessa Kobyluck had 12 points for the Lancers (4-16).
• Eddie Santiago scored 20 as Norwich Tech beat Putnam, 55-49, in a Constitution State Conference East Division game. Mack Osias scored 13 for Norwich Tech (2-15) and Steve Sieczkowski had 12 points. Jacob Guertin had 13 points for the Clippers.
• Chris Lowry scored 21 points as Woodstock Academy beat East Lyme 70-54 in an ECC Large Division game. Wade McNamara scored a game-high 30 points for East Lyme (3-16, 0-10).