Published March 25. 2013 4:00AM
New London - The Coast Guard softball team opened its New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference schedule with a doubleheader sweep of Smith College Sunday, winning the opener 12-5 and the second game 4-2.
Old Lyme's Sammy Yuknat (3-3) pitched a five-hitter to win the second game, allowing no earned runs. Freshman Morgan Kingston hit a two-run homer for the Bears (7-5, 2-0). Catherine Walker's grand slam and Erin Lisko's solo shot helped Coast Guard win the opener. Hannah Ingerson had three hits and drove in two runs and Kristine Kahl (4-2) allowed three hits and no earned runs for the win.
• Emily O'Donnell's two-out double in the top of the eighth inning scored Maddy Schiappa and lifted UConn to a 1-0 win over Sacred Heart. Kiki Saveriano pitched a four-hitter for UConn (11-10), striking out seven with one walk.
• Tyler Vieira pitched a four-hit shutout as Coast Guard salvaged a doubleheader split by beating Castleton State 1-0 in the second game. Castleton won the opener 1-0.
Vieira (2-0) allowed four hits over nine innings, striking out four with two walks. The Bears (8-6) won the game in the bottom of the ninth when Ed Sella doubled, took third on a wild pitch and scored on Cameron Carroll's sacrifice fly.
• Avery Point opened its northern and NJCAA Region 21 schedule by splitting a doubleheader with Dean College at dodd Stadium in Norwich. Avery Point (9-4, 1-1) won the opener in the bottom of the seventh. New London's Matt Greene singled with one out and Pawcatuck's Tyler Tavares pinch ran for him and was balked to second. Tavares scored the game-winner on Chris Mayhew's single. Zack Albin pitched a three-hitter with 12 strikeouts and no walks. Alex Miller's inside-the-park homer in the second game was the highlight in a 5-4 loss.
• Mitchell College split a doubleheader with Anna Maria, winning the second game 6-5 after dropping the opener 5-4. Drew Doyle of Mystic, Ken Olszewski (four runs scored) and Rafael Garcia (three RBI) each had four hits on the day for Mitchell (7-6). Mike Tandy (2-2) won the second game in relief, allowing one hit with two strikeouts over 3 1-3 innings.
• L.J. Mazzilli had two hits and scored a run, hepling UConn beat Georgetown 3-2 in a Big East Conference game. Stanley Paul homered for UConn (13-7, 2-1).
• Coast Guard lost to Stevens, 8-1. Andrew Bryson won his match for the Bears (1-6).
Women's water polo
• Connecticut College won a pair of matches, beating Utice 18-5 and Macalester 10-7 at Penn State-Behrend. Kristin Lampley had six goals, four blocks and four steals, Kelsey Millward scored five goals with four steals and Kate Jacobson had four goals and seven assists for Conn (6-6).
• Connecticut College finished second in the 19-team Owen/Masbacher/Knapp Trophy in Maryland. The Camels had 210 points, with Yale winning with 165. Skipper Kevin Martland, Kim Bolick and Ellis Tonnissi were third in the A Division with 109 points and skipper Peter Miller and Steph Kapinos and Benjamin Meyers were second in the B Division with 101.
Conn was also 10th out of 17 teams (472 points) at the Boston Dinghy Club Challenge Cup Regatta. Atlantic Brugman, Nick Arabia and Claire Sacco were 10th in the A Division.