Norwich - Kyle Liang won the 800- and 1,600-meter events and Joe Trahan took the 200 and the long jump for the Norwich Free Academy boys' track team Tuesday in a 97.5-52.5 victory over East Lyme in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division.
NFA is 5-0 overall, 3-0 in the ECC pending next Tuesday's matchup with defending division champion Fitch.
"If you look at what Fitch has done week after week and if you look at what we've done, they've been a leg up all season," NFA coach Chad Johnson said. "Every time we gain a little somewhere, they gain it back in another area.
"But we did well today. Winning the 4x100 gives us a little hope; if we have a chance to win all three relays, that's a 15-point jump start and then you hope they have a bad day."
Fitch is also 5-0, 3-0.
Dan Gage won the 110 and 300 hurdles for East Lyme (2-2-1, 0-2-1) and Ben Ostrowski won the 400, as well as anchoring a victory in the 4x400 relay which included Gage, Jon Combies and Tim Myers.
In other meets:
• Brandon Robertson won the shot put (47-2) and discus (104-2) as Montville beat Plainfield 92-47 in the ECC Medium. Jesse Joseph won the 800 (2:04.9), Joe Rainville (53.8) won the 400, and the two teamed with Kevin Fitzgerald and Dan Linkinhoker to win the 4x800 relay for Montville (4-1, 2-1). Also, Dawson Milbauer won the 300 hurdles (49.3) and joined Aaron and Caleb Sheldon and Neil Schneeberg to win the 4x400 relay (3:50.1).
• Lyman Memorial edged Stonington 76-69 in the ECC Small Division. Harry Calmar (100, 11.37), Ulysses Sepulveda (400, 54.19), Kieran Thornell (3,200, 11:32), Jake Ryan (shot put, 36-0) and Ken Brown (discus, 103-0) won individual events for the Bears (3-3, 2-1).
• Joe Carter set the school record in the 200 (21.8) and won two other events as Ledyard defeated Killingly 109-40 in the ECC Medium Division. Anthony Saccone won the 110 hurdles and triple jump for the Colonels (4-1, 3-0).
• Tyler Latham won the 110 and 300 hurdles and Fitch remained unbeaten with a 115-35 win over Woodstock Academy in the ECC Large.
• Kenna McWilliams and Christina Connor won two events apiece, but Stonington suffered its first ECC Small Division loss, 74-72 to Lyman Memorial. McWilliams won the 100 dash (13.34) and 400 (64.9) for the Bears (4-2, 2-1) while Connor captured the shot put (30-2) and discus (101-2).
• Natalie Bowens (100, triple jump), Kiah Strickland (100 hurdles, 300 hurdles) and Sonja Campbell (shot put, discus) won two events each in Montville's 86-57 loss to Plainfield in the ECC Medium Division. The Indians are 3-2, 1-2.
• Chenoa Sebastian won the 100 hurdles, 100, 200 and was part of a victorious relay as Ledyard defeated Killingly 109-40 in the ECC Medium Division. Lauren Scahill won the 800 and 1,600 for the Colonels (4-1, 3-0) and Austin Graber won the pole vault and discus. Kylie Fustini won the high jump and shot put.
• Fitch's Hannah Finton won the 400 and shared first in the long jump with teammate Holly Zeppieri to highlight the Falcons' 97-51 win over Woodstock in the ECC Large. Deja Sebastian (100 hurdles), Jaryn Burgess (shot put), Alicia Moroyoqui (1,600), Sydney Spruill (high jump), Christina Szczesny (800), Kandy Grief (javelin) and McKenzie Umryz (triple) also won events for Fitch (4-1, 2-1).