Norwich – Residents have been evacuated from a multi-family home at 303 West Main St. and are not likely to return tonight following a fire on the second floor this afternoon.
Firefighters were initially called out at 3:11 p.m. for a smoke investigation at the four-story building. Norwich Fire Chief Kenneth Scandariato said once inside firefighters discovered a fire burning in an area under renovation on the second floor.
Scandariato said the fire, which had traveled inside the wall, was contained to the room of origin with minimal damage to the area. The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and likely sparked by plumbing work underway at the time.
The homeowner was being treated for a laceration at the scene by personnel from American Ambulance. Scandariato said the injury may have occurred when the man was trying to put out the fire. City records show the home is owned by Dick Giarratano.
Occupants of the building will not being allowed back into the building until an inspection of the utilities can be completed. Norwich