Published July 06. 2013 4:00AM
East Lyme - Waterford South captured the District 10 Little League (9-10) championship with an 8-6 victory over Mystic on Friday night.
Waterford South swept the best-of-three series 2-0.
Rachel Miller led Waterford South with a double, two singles and four RBI while Gina McKittrick had three hits, including a single, and Madison Nott drove in two runs.
Aspen Ryan and Carly Morales had three hits apiece for Mystic.
District 10 (13-14) softball
• Mystic-Groton defeated Waterford 13-1 behind Caroline Taber, who scattered two hits over five innings with 10 strikeouts and also went 2-for-3 with a douible. Jayden Delaporta was 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI, Nalissa Amar and Mackenzie Aldridge each went 3-for-4 with a double and one RBI, Taylor Kenyon had a double, triple and four RBI and Olivia Knotts was 2-for-3 with two RBI.
District 10 (9-10) baseball
• Waterford North defeated Waterford South 5-2 in the opening game of their best-of-three championship series. Ryan Bakken pitched 5 2-3 innings to record the win while Jared Burrows had seven strikeouts for Waterford South. Bakken also homered and Trey Brennan had two hits for Waterford North while Luke Sokolski had a pair of hits for Waterford South.
District 10 (11-12) baseball
• Mystic defeated Montville 11-0 as Adam Gibbs, Shamus McLean and Tom Taber combined to allow only two hits. Gibbs also hit a two-run homer and drove in foru runs while Trey Adams and Nick Helbig had doubles and Weston Jaycee had a pair of singles.
• New London defeated Groton 10-1 as Shaun Cambisaca earned the win by pitching 5 2-3 innings with six strikeouts while Xavier Alvarez homered, Brandon Beck and Cambisaca each double, Jason Rivera had two hits and Ethan Barnes scored three runs.
• Waterford South defeated East Lyme 8-1, breaking open a close game with seven runs in the fith. Winning pitcher Nick Porazzi had eighth strikeouts over 4 2-3 innings while Trevor Yeomans added a three-run triple and Peter Turello added a double.
District 10 (10-11) baseball
• Lyme-Old Lyme defeated New London 9-3 as Colbe Andrews had three hits and drove in five runs while Parker Stone and Kyle Signora added two hits apiece.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Daniel Encarnacian had three hits, including a triple, and drove in four runs as New London beat Norwich 19-7. Johnathan Williams added a three-run triple for New London and winning pitcher Aaron Baldwin struck out 11.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Mitchell Clapsadle and Tyler Yeomans combined to pitch a three-hitter as Waterford defeated Mystic 13-0 in opening round.
Mike Rocchetti led the offense with a triple, three RBI and three runs scored while Clapsadle, Adam Pinch and Alex Petchark had two hits apiece.
Tigers rout Vermont
• Austin Schotts hit a bases-clearing triple during four-run fifth inning that lifted the Connecticut Tigers to a 7-1 victory over the Vermont Lake Monsters in a New York-Penn League game at Dodd Stadium. Schotts and Brett Harrison had two hits apiece for the Tigers (6-12), who play Vermont against tonight at 7:05.