Published July 08. 2013 4:00AM
Groton - The Mystic Schooners scored twice in the second and fifth innings to a build a 4-0 lead and held on to beat the Ocean State Waves 6-1 Sunday in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game at Fitch High School.
Travis Boyd (Seton Hall), Alec Keller (Princeton) and Nico Darras (Cal State Fullerton) homered for the Schooners (12-9) and Darras had two hits and two RBI.
Michael Eckerle (LIU Post) was the winner, allowing one run and two hits over six innings. Former Wheeler standout Conor Gleason (CCRI) pitched a scoreless and hitless ninth.
Kurt Sowa of the Schooners (Rider) was named the NECBL Pitcher of the Week for the week ending July 6. He was 2-0, allowing one earned run over 12 innings with 13 strikeouts and no walks. Brandon Cipolla (Holy Cross) received honorable mention in the player of the week voting.
American Legion Zone VI
• Jordan Kowalski had four hits, scored four runs and drove in two, leading Ledyard-Pawcatuck to an 11-1 win over Norwich. Isiah Cruz had three hits for Ledyard-Pawcatuck and Brenden Gayowski pitched a four-hitter for the win, striking out five with two walks. Steve Sieczkowski had two hits for Norwich.
• Chad Mooney and Tyler Guetens had two hits and drove in two runs each as Montville beat Danielson 11-3 to stay atop the standings. Buddy Dewaine scored three runs and had two hits for Montville (17-2) and Mike McKeon (2-0) allowed six hits over six innings for the win.
• The Staten Island Yankees scored five runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, rallying for a 6-2 win over the Connecticut Tigers in the New York-Penn League.
Pat Leyland was 2-for-3, Dominic Ficociello homered and Raphael Ryhmes doubled for the Tigers (6-14).
Junior Legion Zone VI
• New London remained undefeated with a 14-2 win over Tri-Town. Dan Mewha struck out 11 over five innings for the win and Jon Barstow, Trevor Bolduc (double) and Kendrick Boss had two hits each for New London (12-0).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• East Lyme led 6-0 after three innings and held on to beat New London 6-5. Justin Briasco went the distance with eight strikeouts for the win. Lucas Sousa Ross had a two-run single and Alex Bellas singled and had a run-scoring double for East Lyme. Tim Donahue singled and tripled home a run for New London.
• Ledyard's Tyler Chadwick beat back Keith Rocco to claim the SK Modified feature in Saturday's late race.
Rocco moved in over the final charge to the checkered flag to stage a great finish that had fans on the edge of their seats in anticipation. Chadwick was among the front runners from the beginning of the 100-lap marathon, taking the lead on the outside of Salem's Joe Gada on lap-13. Chadwick led comfortably through the middle stages of the race as Rocco had pitted for adjustments to his car for the stretch run. Rocco blitzed through the field with some dazzling moves, arriving among the top-five runners on lap-57. By lap-65, Rocco had moved into second position ahead of the final caution flag of the race on lap-68.
Once the race restarted, it ran through the checkered flag with Chadwick and Rocco staging a memorable short track battle. Rocco stalked Chadwick from lap-73 through lap-90, attempting several cross-over moves and outside maneuvers to no avail. Rocco tried a valiant final effort on lap-97, losing ground in the process. Chadwick closed out the win, his third of the year. Rocco settled for second and Kyle James ran with the leaders most of the race to finish third.