Published July 18. 2013 4:00AM
Jamestown, N.Y. — The Connecticut Tigers scored three runs in the third inning, backed by a two-run triple by Curt Powell, and held on to beat the Jamestown Jammers 3-2 Wednesday night in a New York-Penn League game.
Powell was 3-for-5 with a double as well as the triple, while Pat Leyland and Austin Schotts each had two hits for the Tigers (12-17).
Austin Pritcher (1-1) pitched three scoreless innings in relief to earn the victory and Zac Reininger later recorded the final out for his second save, leaving the tying run stranded at third base.
Jamestown is 17-12.
• Alec Keller (Princeton) had two hits, including a solo home run, and scored twice as the Mystic Schooners edged the Ocean State Waves 3-2. Byron Campbell (Maryland Eastern Shore) added a double and two RBI for the Schooners (16-14) and Joel Rosencrance (St. Bonaventure) scattered four hits over 5 2/3 innings with one run and two strikeouts. Pat Quinn hit a solo home run for the Waves (19-13).
Zone XI American Legion
• Tim Martineck had three hits as Jewett City edged Norwich 6-5. Logan Gordan and Will Trask each had two hits for Norwich.
• Mike Thienel pitched a four-hitter with five strikeouts as Tri-Town beat Ledyard-Pawcatuck 5-0.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Justin Briasco struck out 11 and had two hits, including a double, as East Lyme beat Tri-County II 14-0.
• Cooper Halvordson struck out six in five innings to earn the win as Mystic beat Norwich on Tuesday, 16-8. Tyler Latham had four hits, including a double, triple and four runs, for Mystic.
Section II softball (9-10)
• Madison Nott had three hits, including a double, with three RBI as Waterford South beat Windsor 10-0 in a four-inning mercy rule game. Molly Quiles had three hits and three RBI for Waterford South and Rachel Nasser and Rachel Miller each pitched two innings.