Published September 11. 2013 4:00AM
Mohegan — The Connecticut Sun will move a step closer to season's end tonight when they play host to the Atlanta Dream at Mohegan Sun Arena (7 p.m.)
The Sun (8-23) have lost three of four to Atlanta (17-14). The Dream cannot catch first-place Chicago, but have yet to secure the second seed and homecourt in at least the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Connecticut played well last weekend, defeating Washington at Mohegan Sun before losing at Indiana in a competitive game one night later.
The Sun will be without Tina Charles, Kara Lawson, Allison Hightower and Kelly Faris, all of whom have suffered season-ending injuries.
Atlanta's Angel McCoughtry leads the WNBA averaging 21.8 points per game. McCoughtry has scored 34, 22, 33 and 30 points versus the Sun this season.
• Preston Minor scored an unassisted goal with just 23 seconds left in overtime to give Norwich Tech a 3-2 win over Grasso Tech in the Constitution State Conference.
Minor scored twice for the Warriors, who forced OT on a goal by Justin Brown in the 60th minute. Nathan Behr and Zay Fletcher scored for Grasso Tech.
• Frank Nororsky and Matt Pastor scored for Fitch in a 2-1 win over St. Bernard. Adam Jacey had seven saves for Fitch. Anthony Malchiodi scored for the Saints and Ryan Dillon had 18 saves.
• Hannah Behringer scored for Old Lyme during a 1-1 tie with East Hampton in the Shoreline Conference. Julia Strychard had the assist for Old Lyme and Tori Sims added three saves.
• Yasmine Le scored as Norwich Free Academy tied Lyman Memorial, 1-1. Gabbi Wise had the assist for NFA and Rosa Costa had nine saves.
• Ali Patterson had three goals and two assists as St. Bernard downed Fitch, 7-0. Mackenzie Nagy had a goal and three assists for the Saints and Talia Coleman had a goal and one assist. Nikki Sexton had 12 saves for the Falcons.
• Breanna Gagnon scored twice as Parish Hill beat Grasso Tech, 5-0, in the CSC. Taylor Cooley had 10 saves for Grasso and Tonia Johnson had eight.
H.S. field hockey
• Cara Bradley had a goal and two assists as East Lyme beat Old Saybrook, 3-2. Kaitlyn Favalora and Emma Punsalan scored for East Lyme and Sarah Bond had six saves.
• Catherine Buckley had six aces and 11 kills as East Lyme beat Griswold 25-13, 25-14, 25-12. Jordan Venditto had 17 assists for East Lyme.
• Alysia Rathbun had 16 digs and five aces as Wheeler beat New London 25-20, 25-18, 27-25. Sara Gaccione had 20 digs for Wheeler and Paula Herran added 15 digs, eight kills and five aces.
• Holly Fiscus had 14 assists and five aces as Old Lyme edged North Branford 26-28, 23-25, 25-13, 25-23, 15-13 in the Shoreline Conference. Megan Astley had 33 digs for Old Lyme and Lauren Romeo had seven blocks and three kills.
• Kaitlyn Mitchell had nine points and two kills as Norwich Tech lost to Killingly 25-21, 25-10, 25-14.
• Melissa Manning had 12 kills and 14 digs to lead Albertus Magnus past Mitchell College 25-11, 26-24, 25-23. Gloria Charles had 12 kills and seven digs for Mitchell (0-3) and Alyssa Puccilli added 18 digs.