Published September 24. 2013 4:00AM
Ledyard - Ashley Kane, Samantha Lee and Hannah Belleville scored goals in the first half for the East Lyme High School girls' soccer team and the Vikings held on to a 3-0 victory over Ledyard in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division matchup between two previously unbeaten teams.
Kane opened the scoring with 25 minutes, 48 seconds to go in the half and Lee scored on a penalty kick at 22:31 to make it 2-0. Lee had two assists.
Ledyard outshot defending Large Division champion East Lyme 12-6, with Colonels' sophomore Alyssa Samson getting eight shots but unable to knock one in, according to Ledyard coach Jen Sullivan.
"Going into it, we knew we had to play our best game, definitely," said East Lyme coach Rachel Redding, whose team is 4-0 overall, 2-0 in the Large Division. "You want to come out on top, but you like competition otherwise it's just boring. You want the kids to want to be in there every minute."
Redding said the Vikings' defense played well, including sophomore Isabelle Moore and freshman Mackenzie Northcutt. Goalie Gabby Fiengo made one save for her third shutout of the season.
Ledyard, which got strong play from Olivia Holubecki organizing the back line, according to Sullivan, is 4-1, 1-1.
In other games:
• Caitlin Turney had a goal and an assist to lead Montville to its 3-0 win over Killingly in the ECC Medium. Rachel Marchini and Abby McAdams scored, Stefanie Szot had 12 saves and Hannah Meyers had an assist for Montville (3-1-1, 1-1).
• St. Bernard was credited with an own goal in the first half when Ali Regan's crossing pass deflected off a defender and into the net, giving the Saints a 1-0 win over Windham in the ECC Small Division. St. Bernard (4-1, 2-0) held a 24-1 edge in shots.
• Nicole Monce scored two goals as Lyman Memorial defeated Wheeler 5-1 in the ECC Small Division. Jess Muller scored a second-half goal for the Lions (1-4, 0-2) and goalie Jess Morgan made 24 saves.
• Julie Jordan and Sarah Burdick both scored as Plainfield beat Stonington 2-0 in the ECC Medium. Mackenzie Segreto had seven saves for Stonington (1-4, 0-1).
• Elaina Becher, Emily Becher and Colleen Topliff all scored for Woodstock Academy in its 4-0 win over Norwich Free Academy in the ECC Large. Rosa Conte had 13 saves for NFA (0-4-1, 0-2).
• Four different players scored for Bacon Academy in its 4-1 win over Fitch in the ECC Large. Leah Beauton, Sydney Hebert, Mackenzie Downer and Shelby Tallman each had a goal for the Bobcats. Lauren Szczesny scored, Nicole Sexton had 14 saves and Shea Berry five saves for Fitch (0-5, 0-2).
• Hartford Classical erupted for four goals in the second half to defeat Grasso Tech 7-1 in the Constitution State Conference. Luis Latorre scored for Grasso in the 35th minute and goalie Tom Kane made 26 saves.
• Sami Ahmed scored twice as St. Thomas More tied Wheeler (R.I.) 2-2. Mauricio Chavez and Luiz Dantes had assists for T-More (1-1-2) and Kory Fortier added five saves.