Published September 26. 2013 4:00AM
Waterford - Genaya Loftis scored in the 65th minute to lift Waterford High School to a 1-0 victory over Plainfield on Wednesday night in an early-season matchup of Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division leaders.
Melinas Spanos assisted on the goal for the Lancers (5-0-1, 3-0), who held a 14-7 edge in shots, while goalie Ambert Heenan stopped four shots to earn the shutout.
Plainfield is 5-1, 2-1.
In other games:
• Talia Coleman scored on a free kick 25 yards from the goal eight minutes into the game as St. Bernard beat Lyman Memorial, 1-0, to gain sole possession of first place in the ECC Small. It was the Saints' first win over the Bulldogs since 2006. Alex Santiago had four saves for St. Bernard (5-1, 3-0). Cara Habicht had four saves for the Bulldogs.
• Hannah Steinke scored a pair of goals as Holy Family/Norwich Tech beat Grasso Tech 5-0 in a Constitution State Conference game. Allie Smith, Emily Kivela and Alexis Esposito also scored and Shelby Grauer mad two saves for Holy Family (4-1-1). Tonia Johnson had nine saves for Grasso (1-5).
• Alyssa Samson had a goal and an assist as Ledyard beat Fitch 3-0 in the ECC Large Division. Carley Loy and Emil Kowalski also scored, Abbey Holland had an assist and Austin Graber made six saves for Ledyard (5-1, 2-1). Nicole Sexton had 13 saves for Fitch (0-6, 0-3).
• Isabella Martin and Rachel Marchini scored two goals each as Montville beat New London 6-0 in the ECC Medium Division. Abby McAdams had a goal and an assist, Nicole Dutka scored, Caitlin Turney and Isabel Orbe had assists and Stefanie Szot made two saves for Montville (4-1-1, 2-1). New London is 0-5, 0-2.
• Gabby Silvia had three goals to pace Stonington past Killingly, 4-1, in the ECC Medium. Danielle Herrman scored for the Bears (2-4, 1-1) and Tara Watrous had two assists. Also, Alie Cullen and Megan Sartor each had assists.
• Luiz Dantas had two goals and two assists, leading St. Thomas More to a 5-4 win over the Williams School. Jean-Guy Shapiro had a goal and an assist, Sami Ahmed and Nathaniel Fernandes also scored and Kory Fortier made five saves for T-More. Sotiraq Vangjeli had a goal and two assists, Doug Hamilton had a goal and an assist, Chris Bowdler and Ashton Kozlowski scored goals and Chris Collins made nine saves for Williams (0-5).
• Nathan Behr scored all three goals in Grasso Tech's 5-3 loss to Cheney Tech in the CSC. Tom Kane played well in goal for the Eagles, stopping 14 shots.