Published October 20. 2013 4:00AM
Waterford - Connecticut College's Mike LeDuc won individual honors while Gary Ezzo finished second to lead the Coast Guard Academy men's cross country team to a second-place finish in the Conn College Invitational on Saturday at Harkness Memorial State Park.
LeDuc finished in 24 minutes, 54 seconds over the 8K course, lifting the Camels to a third-place finish with 140 points.
Ezzo, meanwhile, finished in 25:14 for the Bears, whose 77 points were just three behind champion Keene State (74).
Also for the Bears, freshman Zachary Velasquez was sixth (25:32), Stephen Horvath placed 21st (26:12), Brad Pienta was 23rd (26:19) and Jon Lash was 25th (26:21).
For Conn, Patrick Dermody finished ninth (25:40) followed by Ben Bosworth (15th, 26:02), Zander Mintz (59th, 26:49) and Billy Barnes (60th), 26:50.
Mitchell College finished 21st with 694 points and was led by Spencer Daniels (136th, 30:40), Mike Edwards (138th, 31:13), Tim Hoch (139th, 31:35), Sam Williams (140th, 31:40) and Adam Oshrain (141st, 32:01).
Women's cross country
Conn College finished sixth in its own invite with 194 points as Kelsey McGinnis led the way with a 12th-place finish in 22:28. Tufts won the team title with 52 points.
Also scoring for the Camels were Ashley Curran (24th, 22:55), Emily Winter (46th, 23:36), Caroline Lucas (54th, 23:46) and Nicole Adam (58th, 23:51).
Beth Gollin placed 14th in 22:34 as Coast Guard finished eighth with 206 points. Also scoring for the Bears were Megan Kalinowski (37th, 23:17), Carrie Smith (39th, 23:30), Kendall Auth (61st, 23:48) and Bonny Turnage (65th, 23:59).
Mitchell placed 21st with 687 points behind Sheilah Newcity (134th, 27:51), Katie Buchanan (135th, 28:50), Bridget Burns (138th, 29:57), Tierney Caulfield (139th, 29:58) and Morghan Morney (141st, 32:13).
• Zachary Simmons scored at 61:51 to lead Mitchell to a 1-0 win over Becker in the New England Collegiate Conference. Andrew Nigro assisted on the goal and Ramazan Sinani made four saves for Mitchell (6-9, 4-1). Mitchell clinched a berth in the NECC tournament with the win.
• Chris Ciampi converted a penalty kick in the 104th minute to give WPI a 3-2 overtime victory over Coast Guard Academy in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference game. Alexander Lane scored both goals for the Bears (6-6-2, 2-2-1) and goalie Richie Burns made three saves.
• Conn College lost 2-1 to Bowdoin in the New England Small College Athletic Conference. Zach Punt scored on a penalty kick for Conn (7-3-2, 3-3-3) to tie the game at 1-1 at 57:18.
• Breanna Poirier scored two second-halg goals, snapping a 2-2 halftime tie, as Mitchell beat Newbury 4-2 in the NECC. Alexandra Mahar and Katie McBride scored goals, Madeline Crow had an assist and Kaylee Woodford made four saves for Mitchell (2-10, 2-5).
• Bowdoin beat Conn College 2-1 in the NESCAC. Morgan Cowie-Haskell scored at 61:20 for Conn to tie the game at 1-1. Natalie Signor made four saves for Conn (3-5-3, 1-4-2).
• Chloe Ainley had 15 kills, two digs and two blocks to lead Conn College to a 25-18, 10-25, 29-27 and 25-22 victory over Hamilton in the NESCAC. Caroline Martin added 10 kills and 12 digs for the Camels (10-9, 5-4) while Ella Johnson had eight kills and three blocks, Kaitlin Cunningham had 37 assists and 13 digs and Cailyn Straubel had 19 digs.
• Regis beat Mitchell 25-17, 25-20, 25-12 in the NECC. Gloria Charles had six kills and seven digs, Amanda Garcia had seven kills, Nicole Caminiti had 16 assists and Jessica Ware had six digs for Mitchell (7-12, 2-4).
• Bowdoin beat Conn College 4-0 in a NESCAC game. Becca Napolitano made 20 saves for Conn (3-8, 1-7).