More than Meets the Eye
Branford photographer Bill O’Brien was out and about with his camera just a few days before the start of the 2022 when he snapped this revealing image from Branford’s past at 275 Main St. (Photo by Bill O'Brien)
Branford's well known community photographer, Bill O'Brien, was out and about with his camera just a few days before the start of the 2022 when he snapped this revealing image from Branford's past.
The wording painted on the front of the building appeared as siding was being removed during exterior work underway at 275 Main Street, which today is home to Branford Cleaners.
O'Brien checked in with Branford Historian Jane Bouley who confirmed the building was formerly a Chevrolet dealership owned by Leo Sliney, a relative of John B. Sliney.
The name of the late John B. Sliney (1897-1981) is possibly best known these days due to Branford's John B. Sliney elementary school on Eades Street, which was named for him in 1978. According to the Branford Education Hall of Fame, which inducted him posthumously, Sliney served Branford as a First Selectman for 18 years, beginning in 1963. Prior to that, he was a long-serving member of 40 years on Branford's Board of Education.
O'Brien was kind enough to share this image, information and a glimpse into some interesting Branford history, with readers of Zip06/The Sound.